Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Introduction

Hey everyone. I know everyone and their mothers have a page like this. So my insight will probably be as valuable as a Canadian penny. But, I'm going to try and keep this thing interesting and up to date.

My name is Mark and I love sports. That will be the primary content found on this thing. I am going to use this site to predict the NFL games each week. I've been doing this for years and usually do better than all of the "experts" and former players. I will try to predict ACC college basketball when it starts in November. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do in the period from April to August when there are no football or college hoops to talk about. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I want to start off by saying that I am a huge Redskins fan (haven't missed watching a game since 1989) but I will try to be un-biased when talking about the NFL in general. The same cannot be said for my future discussions on college hoops. I was born and raised in Maryland and attended the outstanding University in College Park. So while I plan to discuss the entire ACC, the material will obviously include a Maryland bias.

So most of you will probably wonder what ability I have to break down the NFL and college hoops. While I haven't played organized sports since high school, I did serve as a play-by-play broadcaster at UMD for the best student radio station in the country, WMUC. I spent four years broadcasting football and basketball for Maryland, and it was my job to analyze the two sports. Just because I'm not an ex-college athlete, doesn't mean I don't know the games. Former players aren't the only ones who knew that Chad Pennington wouldn't last a month before getting seriously hurt again (I predicted that in August), the Vikings were going to be horrible without Randy Moss (Again, I said that in August) or that the Bengals could actually challenge for a playoff spot this season (I think I said that one after the draft in April). I'm most proud of my prediction back in August of 2002, that Carson Palmer - then a senior at USC and a former blue-chip prospect that just about everyone in the media labeled as a bust - would win the Heisman Trophy. I was the only one outside of Los Angeles that got that one right. Or my prediction later that fall that Syracuse would win the NCAA basketball championship. Most didn't have that one either, especially so early in the season. Of course, no one is perfect (for example, my guess that the Philadelphia Eagles would go 8-8 last season and not make the playoffs didn't work out so well). But this site has as much credibility as the next.

I will try to have NFL predictions up every Thursday, and we'll have to play it by ear on ACC hoops. I'll also try to write a column from time to time. Feel free to leave me any comments you want and enjoy my take on the crazy world of sports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home